As 20th century approached, the Chinese merchants felt the need to set up a commercial bureau to foster trade interests as the Chinese trading interests continued to grow. Hence on 27th March 1904, they came together to form the Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commerce (the Chamber).

The establishment of the Chamber transcended the traditional Chinese practices of forming social groups along the lines of dialects, surnames, provincial origins, and occupations. Founded and led by the most reputable leaders at that time, the Chamber functioned instead as an open platform for its members to engage, build networks, consolidate ideas, and also served as the highest representative body, socially, economically and politically, of the Chinese community.

  1. The Chamber was formed.

  2. Changed name to "Selangor Chamber of Commerce".

  3. Received official stamp seal from Qing government of China.

  4. Moved office to Jalan Petaling.

  5. Organised "Bookkeeping Course".

  6. The Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce was formed.

  7. Grand opening of Chinese Assembly Hall.

  8. Joined anti-Japanese movement.

  9. Stopped operating during Japanese occupation.

  10. Revived after the War.

  11. Re-establishment of ACCCIM.

  12. MCA was formed.

  13. Malayan Independence.

  14. New logo was introduced.

  15. Office relocated in KLSCAH.

  16. Helped refugees after 513 Incident.

  17. Led delegation to Canton Fair.

  18. Co-hosted "National Chinese Economics Conference".

  19. Published "Members and Trade Directory".

  20. Changed its Chinese name.

  21. Changed its logo.

  22. Launched "Buy Malaysia Products" campaign.

  23. Held "Trade Expo".

  24. Construction of Wisma Chinese Chamber.

  25. Established Commercial Arbitration Tribunal.

  26. Completion of the building.

  27. Opening Ceremony of Wisma Chinese Chamber.

  28. Changed its English name.

  29. Organised "Buy Malaysia Products" campaign.

  30. Was awarded "Longest Serving & Active Assoc.".

  31. ACCCIM hosted World Chinese Entrepreneurs Convention.

  32. Celebrated 100th anniversary.

  33. Was awarded ISO certification.

  34. Organised "Innovative Youth" event.

  35. Publication of "Outstanding Entrepreneurs".

  36. Launched Facebook page.

  37. Was appointed as "Friend of National Unity".

  38. Held Tri-Chamber Networking Luncheon.

  39. Renovation of Wisma Chinese Chamber.

  40. Opening of KLSCCCI Gallery.









































The notice of meeting put up by San Ah Wing in the Malay Mail dated 19th Feb 1904.

The meeting held on 20th Feb was chaired by Chan Sow Lin.

The rules of the Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commerce drafted by Too Nam.

The English version of the Rules and Regulations of the Chamber was published by Malay Mail dated 22 March 1904

On 27th March 1904, 80 merchants gathered at Tong Hin Loong, Loke Yew’s shop, to form a Commercial Bureau. Loke Yew was elected the Chamber’s first President, while Chan Sow Lin and Loke Chow Kit as Vice Presidents, and San Ah Wing as Secretary.

Inaugural Committee in 1904

There are several accounts regarding the origin of KLSCCCI. According to the “Rules of the Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commerce”, the Chamber was formed mainly to overcome barriers in relation to diverse dialects spoken among the Chinese community by bringing together merchants to discuss their common interests.

The earliest office was located at Rodger Street (today known as Jalan Hang Kasturi), with 112 founding members. According to Malay Mail dated 4 Oct 1905, Wee Hap Lang rented his premise at Rodger Street to the Chamber at a nominal rent.

In response to the Qing Court’s 1904 Commerce Regulation in China, the Commercial Bureau changed its name to “Selangor Chamber of Commerce”. The Chamber also applied for an official stamp seal from the Qing government to facilitate cross border business and trades.

A memorial by the Ministry of Agriculture, Industry and Commerce of the Qing government on the formation of the Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commerce and the application for an official stamp seal dated 28 March 1909. (Political Gazette, No. 518, 1909).

Issue 7 of Shang Wu Guan Bao (or Newsletter for Ministry of Commerce), dated 15 April 1909, a memorandum sent by the Chamber to the Qing Court regarding application for an official stamp for the use of the Chamber.

The Chamber received the official stamp seal on 19th June and became the highest representative body of the Chinese Community in Selangor.

The Chamber held a grand ceremony for the start of the use of the new seal on 19 July 1909.(New Nanyang Union Times, 22 July 1909).

Based on the earliest traceable written record, the Chamber’s office was moved into the same premise as that of Miners’ Association located at the end of Jalan Petaling in 1912.

As the number of Chinese merchants grew, the Chamber started a “Basic Bookkeeping Class”, which lasted for six months. The course ceased when demand dropped off in later years.

On 2nd July, the first conference was held by eight chambers to form the Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce of British Malaya (ACCCBM). This association is the predecessor of today’s ACCCIM. The first meeting was initiated by Lim Eu Toh, then president of Penang Chinese Chamber Of Commerce, in KLSCCCI’s office. The purpose of the meeting was to form a collective force to deal with challenges of depression.

29th October marked the opening of the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) at Birch Road. It was launched by the Selangor Sultan and was to be the most important event among the Chinese community then. The Chamber moved into the premise and shared office with the Miners’ Association.

The construction of KLSCAH started in as early as 1923, but was forced to stop in 1927 due to financial constraints. The government demanded the return of its land title. The Chamber then initiated a fundraising campaign. The construction resumed after sufficient funds were raised from the public.

Nanyang Siang Pau carried a report of the grand opening of KLSCAH. The ceremony began with an opening speech by Choo Kia Peng in Malay. Sultan Alauddin Sulaiman Shah, the fifth Sultan of Selangor officiated the ceremony. It was followed by an English speech by the Chamber’s then President Lai Tet Loke, before San Ah Wing closed the ceremony in Cantonese. The multilingual speeches indicate that the Chamber’s leaders and members were able to get along well regardless of their differences in language.

The Chamber formed the “Selangor China Relief Funds Committee” after the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese War, playing a significant role in the anti-Japanese movement.

As the war arrived, many members and committees from the Chamber joined the civil defence force to protect the country, including forming the Air Raid Precaution Corp (ARP).

The Chamber stopped operating during the Japanese occupation. The Japanese demanded 50 million “donation” as a punishment for the local Chinese who donated huge amount of money to the China Relief Funds. Many important figures from the Chamber became the targets and were forced to pay up to 10 million on behalf of the whole Chinese community.

After the War, the country was in ruins. The pre-war President Lee Hau Shik mobilized the Chamber’s members and directors to revive the Chamber and became its first post-war president.

The Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce of Malaya, ACCCIM (formerly known as ACCCBM) held its first conference on 23rd February under the strong leadership of Lee Hau Shik. The President of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce Lee Kong Chian was elected the first president of ACCCIM.

Federation of Malaya was formed on 31st January 1948. Emergency was declared on 16th June 1948, and lasted for 12 years until 12th July 1960.

On 19th February 1949, KLSCCCI invited all Chinese associations to attend a meeting, discussing the formation of a political body to represent the Chinese community. Malayan Chinese Association (MCA) was later formed on 27th February.

Upon retiring from the Chamber’s presidency, Lee Hau Shik represented MCA in the Alliance delegation to London to pressure Britain into granting Malaya independence. Lee was the only Chinese signatory to the independence agreement concluded in London.

The Chamber changes its Chinese name on 29th March.

    A new logo was introduced:

    - a gearwheel signifies various industries

    - a rice straw signifies agriculture

    - an ancient China coin signifies Chinese commerce

    - the colours red and yellow represents the colours of the Selangor state flag

    - the colour white represents the just and unbiased principles upheld by KLSCCCI

With financial assistance from the Chamber’s board of directors and its members, its office was relocated to a bigger room in KLSCAH.

After the May 13th incident, KLSCCCI represented the public to negotiate with the government regarding the implementation of curfew, and distributed 1000 bags of rice to refugees in various areas.

Lee Yan Lian led a group of members to participate in the Canton Fair (also known as China Import and Export Fair).

The Canton Fair is to date the oldest and largest trade fair, having begun life in 1957. In its early days, merchants who wanted to participate had to apply for a China visa from the Malaysian government through KLSCCCI. The Chamber continues to lead commercial delegation as an effort to expand business opportunities even after China opened up its economy in 1978.

KLSCCCI published its first Bulletin in March, as a mean to strengthen the networks among its members, as well as to share information through systematic documentation.

KLSCCCI purchased a new double-terrace bungalow at Jalan Ampang during Lee Yan Lian’s tenure as president. The new premise was over 40,000 sq. ft. wide and costs over 410,000 dollars. It was renovated for lease.

KLSCCCI changed its Chinese name again on 20th January.

ACCCIM hosted the “National Chinese Economics Conference” on 9th April. As a co-host, KLSCCCI mobilized its Board of Directors and members to join and sponsored RM10,000 for a composition contest, themed “Discuss the Challenges of Chinese Economic Status Within the Framework of National Economic Development”.

Published several versions of the Chamber’s Members and Trade Directory.

Changed its Chinese name on 2nd April, and received approval from the Registration Department on 17th January 1984.

A new logo was introduced:

- The three Cs represents the initials of the words "Chinese Chamber of Commerce"

- The hexagon design of the three of Cs forms the shape of a nut to represent industry.

- The geometrical design of the straight white lines interlocking the three Cs signifies the Chinese character '中'

- The pyramidal structure of the three Cs symbolizes unity and strength of the business communities under the Chamber.

- The colour gold symbolises prosperity.

KLSCCCI published its first commemorative publication upon its 80th anniversary. It documented the history of the Chamber and various important post-War events.

In response to Mahathir ’s call, the Chamber launched a “Belilah Barangan Buatan Malaysia” (Buy Malaysia Made Products) campaign on 4th April.

KLSCCCI held its first “Trade Expo 1988” from 9th-18th December, attracting over a hundred traders to participate and over 300,000 visitors. The expo was a platform for traders to promote and sell products, to enhance trade and industry, to strengthen relations between KLSCCCI and its members, and to encourage public to purchase local products.

KLSCCCI decided to move into the previously bought premise at Jalan Ampang in June.

Ground breaking ceremony took place on 25th September.

After two years of preparation, the legal committee of KLSCCCI established a Commercial Arbitration Tribunal on 20th May to provide a just and better system for resolving disputes over fraud cases or investments.

The tribunal is an outgrowth of what was set for as the objective of the Commercial Bureau when it was newly established. As indicated in the 1904 Rules, the Bureau then served as an “open court” to handle disputes among merchants and settle commercial complaints brought up by the public.

On 9th December, a ceremony was held to mark the completion of the building.

11th July marked a new phase of KLSCCCI at its own building, where Prime Minister Mahathir was invited to officiate the Opening Ceremony.

Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato’ Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad officiated the Opening Ceremony of Wisma Chinese Chamber. (11-7-1995)

The main hall on the ground floor was named after Lee Seng Peng to commemorate his contribution in purchasing the land where the current building is located when he was the Chamber’s Vice President in the 1970s. The plaque was calligraphed by Pan Shou, a prominent calligrapher in Singapore.

On 22nd June, the Chamber changed its English name to “The Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Kuala Lumpur and Selangor”.

During the Asian financial crisis, KLSCCCI launched a “Buy Malaysian Products Campaign” to promote local brands and products. The expo has since been held for eight continuous years.

Flanked by the Chamber's president Lim Guan Teik, Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir strikes a gong at the opening ceremony.

The Minister of Primary Industries Dato Seri Lim Keng Yaik tastes the locally produced healthy beverage in the expo.

KLSCCCI was awarded by the Registrar of Societies as the “Top 10 Longest Serving and Active Associations in Kuala Lumpur”.

ACCCIM organized and hosted the 7th World Chinese Entrepreneurs Convention in Kuala Lumpur in July. Over 3,200 representatives from 21 countries and districts attended the event.

KLSCCCI welcomed the representatives from abroad and guided them around Kuala Lumpur.

The Chamber organized a series of events to celebrate its 100th anniversary, included publication of 100th Anniversary Commemorative Issue.

A gala dinner with one hundred banquet tables was hold to celebrate the Chamber's 100th anniversary. All members of the Board of Directors were invited to the stage for a cake-cutting and toasting ceremony.

Representatives from local Chinese Chambers of Commerce together with those from the overseas were invited to join a welcoming dinner

On 7th February, KLSCCCI was awarded ISO certification.

Organized a “Creative Entrepreneurs, Business Rising Stars” event to nurture the spirit of entrepreneurship and to cultivate talent of the local youth by providing talks and opportunities for them to present ideas freely.

The Chamber changed its acronym to KLSCCCI.

On its 110th anniversary, KLSCCCI published a special issue, titled “Outstanding Entrepreneurs”, to appreciate and celebrate their ideals, spirits and social contributions.

KLSCCCI launched its Facebook page to deliver important messages, as well as to foster closer relationship with the members.

As a part of its larger digitization project, KLSCCCI started to compile and digitize its members’ information database.

On 18th February, Tan Sri Dato Joseph Kurup, a Minister from the Prime Minister Department, appointed KLSCCCI as the “friend of national unity”.

On 23rd November, the Malay Chamber of Commerce and Indian Chamber of Commerce were invited for a lunch sharing session on the future of a new economic model in the era of big data.

KLSCCCI building was renovated to enhance the Chamber’s image.

The KLSCCCI Gallery was officially opened by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir when he attended the Chinese New Year Open House on 6 Feb 2019.